The National Weather Service in Albuquerque has issued a Fire Weather Watch; which is in effect from Saturday morning through Saturday evening.
Essentially, the entire state is expecting a major wind event over the next few days and our local Fire and Safety Director David Kube is asking for all local residents to be cautious and help keep from more fires starting/spreading. We are expecting high winds, high temperatures and very low humidity for the next several days.
Local residents please:
- Adhere to current state and local burn bans
- Avoid smoking in and around areas with dry vegetation and always use ashtrays
- Refrain from outdoor activities that will create sparks such as welding, cutting, and grinding
- Avoid parking a vehicle in dry vegetation
- Make sure tow chains do not drag the pavement
Any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly. Winds from the Southwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts to around 45 mph are predicted.